Honorary Doctorate

An Honorary Degree or a degree honoris causa (Latin: "for the sake of the honour”)  is an academic degree for which a university (or other degree-awarding institution) has waived the usual requirements, such as matriculation, residence, study, and the passing of examinations. It is typically a Doctorate, bestowed by the Board of Regents of a respected college or university and is a valid designation.  Such a degree is normally issued to people who have made a substantial contribution in the lives of people and society and may be awarded to someone who has no prior connection with the institution.  

At EMET, The Honorary Doctorate Degree is conferred upon distinguished Pastors, Chaplains, Evangelists, Ministers, and other Christian Leaders or Public Servants who have made significant contributions in their respective fields or for the extension of God’s Kingdom and have served more than 5 years in public ministry.  This time of service must be validated.  

Emet Global Theological Seminary and College welcomes your recommendations and nominations of persons in the ministry who deserve the special recognition and honor of receiving the Honorary Doctorate. Each applicant must meet the criteria established by EMET's Board of Regents which will also be based upon their evaluation of information provided about the candidates. 

As with other reputable tertiary institutions of learning, the Honorary Doctorate Degree is an award that is awarded solely for the accomplishments and contributions that a person has made. EMET does not sell its Honorary Degrees.

To recommend a candidate, please complete the Recommendation Form. Please make sure that the candidate meets the necessary qualifications in order to receive this degree. 

View the qualifications and criteria for the Honorary Doctorate Degree here 


Effective Immediately, EMET will be honoring only 1 person with this noble award at its graduation ceremony. 


Emet Global Theological Seminary and College's conferral of this ecclesiastical degree is not intended to compete with a traditional academic or professional doctorate.  This is not an earned degree.  It is a "Qualified-By-Experience" honor.

EMET awards the following Honorary Degrees: 

(Click on the arrow to see information on each honorary title)


For Contributions to Ministry

The honorary Doctor of Divinity (D.Div; D.D.;  or DDiv) is Awarded to candidates who have spent more than 5-10 years in public ministry serving in the role of a pastor, chaplain, evangelist, missionary or other church leadership role.


For Cultural contributions

The honorary degree of Doctor of Humane Letters (Latin: Litterarum humanarum doctor; DHumLitt;  D.H.L.; DHL; or LHD) is awarded to those who have distinguished themselves through humanitarian and philanthropic contributions to society.


For Contributions to Gospel or Sacred Music

The honorary Doctor of Sacred Music (DSM; D.S.M.) is awarded to persons engaged in church music ministries as a cantor, director of minister of music, pastoral musician, pastor of worship, organist, etc. or in other contexts in which the individual serves in a sacred music capacity, such as a music missionary, religious radio Broadcaster, promoter or artiste.

Honorary Professor

For Teaching

The title Honorary Professor,  [Professor, (h.c)] is equivalent in standing to Professor. This Title may be conferred upon those who are able to demonstrate a national/international profile for innovation, publication and enterprise in Teaching supplemented by a record of research achievement or highly ranked scholarly publications.

how to use your honorary title

The recipient of an honorary degree may add the degree title post-nominally, but it should always be made clear that the degree is honorary by adding "honorary" or "honoris causa" or "h.c." in parentheses after the degree title. 


John Blue, D.Div(h.c)

Mary Applegold, Professor(h.c)

Gary Winthrop, D.H.L(h.c.)

In some countries, a person who holds an honorary doctorate may use the title "Doctor" pre-nominally, abbreviated "Dr.h.c." or "Dr.(h.c.)". It can also be written using "Hon" before the degree letters, for example, "Hon DMus". 


Dr.h.c. Gladys Green

Dr.(h.c.) Mark Tripoli

Hon DSM David Gao

If You'd like to donate to us please see the  DENVAL DENNIS SCHOLARSHIP FUND needs here